I forgot to take a photo of the fleece this time so I will show you the last fleece again.
This year's fleece wasn't as nice as the shearling fleece, but then lambs wool is traditionally the best quality that you can get. We've also had a lot of very wet weather over the past year and this plays havoc with the quality of the fleece.
I took delivery of 988g of fleece but noticed a lot of vegetable matter and second cuts in this years fleece. Normally I would remove as much as I could but there is so much of it I decided to leave that job to the combs, they are so much more efficient at it than I am. I just got on and washed the fleece, leaving me with 644g of clean fleece.
After I sat and combed the entire fleece I had a large bag of waste and just 414g of hand-combed nests waiting to be spun. This is not much, a poor % yield, but what there is is nice, better than I was expecting after seeing the state it was in when it arrived.
I split the amount in half and spun two singles. When I came to ply, I added a new twist. Yes I plied both of the single Shetland strands together but I also added in something else to make 3 ply yarns.